The Return of Picard

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
Jpatten
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Return of Picard

Post by Jpatten » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:36 am

As much as I want to like the idea.... I am not confident in it
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/sir-patric ... all-access
I don't know half you half as well as I'd like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
--KN4BMP

Lionheart
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: The Return of Picard

Post by Lionheart » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:33 am

I'm curious as to how they would continue his story as its 2395/stardate 82000.0, which is when "All Good Things" future scenes take place.

* Does he have Irmodic Syndrome?
* Is he the Ambassador to Vulcan?
* Is the Enterprise-E still around? Does it have three nacelles?
"What is life? It is the flash of the firefly at night, it is the breath of the moose in winter. It is the shadow which runs along the grass and loses itself in the sunset." - First Nation Quote

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:15 pm

wont believe its gonna happen til its on the screen
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 2120 - DECEMBER 12th

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:16 am

Did Michael break the Universe and only Picard can fix it? \Y/
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:27 am

A number of possibilities present themselves:
  • He's still captain of the Enterprise, with the same rank, which in my opinion would be absurd, and of which there's only a 5% chance, though it's not off the table because ... well, see below
  • He's recently retired, but with his finger on the pulse of the Federation; this would be slightly less ridiculous, and I rate its probability at 10%
  • He's a commodore or fleet captain, which gives him flexibility to be on any number of starships, also at 10%
  • He's long retired, but works as an unofficial troubleshooter for Starfleet; a strong possibility at 20%
  • He's Commandant of Starfleet Academy, a reasonable chance of 15%
  • He's a still-active three or four-star admiral, and runs around putting out fires for the Federation, which I think most likely (along with unofficial troubleshooter), at 20%
  • He's a UFP Ambassador, to either Vulcan or the Klingon Empire (which is an opening for Worf to appear regularly), a close second at 15%
  • He's Commanding Admiral, Starfleet, perhaps 3%
  • He's the President of the UFP, a long-shot at 2%
It could be something else, but ... I doubt it.

Wow, when I guessed Stewart's age, I was spot-on: He's 78. He cannot be convincing as an action hero, so that leaves commanding a starship out, unless the writers are morons. (Hell, even Clint Eastwood can't be convincing as an action hero anymore.)

This could be a lot of fun: We'd likely get to see Riker commanding the Titan, and the rest of the various crews from TNG, VOY and DS9 in roles moving us into the future of Trek.

Be nice if they avoided any mention of or crossover with Discovery, but that's too much to ask.
"The angel of the Lord appeared to them ... and they were struck with great fear. 'Do not be afraid; for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy ... today in the city of David a savior has been born. And this will be a sign ... you will find an infant wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.'”

fereality
Crewman 2nd Class
Crewman 2nd Class

Post by fereality » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:38 am

Well personally I'd love for it to be an Academy series, with retired Admiral Jean Luc Picard teaching the next generation of Starfleet on how to do it right.

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:55 pm

JM1776 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:27 am

Wow, when I guessed Stewart's age, I was spot-on: He's 78. He cannot be convincing as an action hero, so that leaves commanding a starship out, unless the writers are morons. (Hell, even Clint Eastwood can't be convincing as an action hero anymore.)

I dont think Picard in fairness was ever really portrayed as a sort of action figure, but more the intellectual type/ diplomat.

When Sisko punched Q, Q responded that Picard never hit him,and thats because Picard was rightfully cast as less of the physical type.
There was obviously some exceptions which would not make sense like when he, worf and beverly crusher went on a mission to cardassia, as if you would use people their age or rank for that mission.

Personally I would like it to be a show where Picard would be a top ranking officer or official or diplomat in a sort of political drama based in some embassy concentrating on politics, power plays etc.

markc
Crewman 1st Class
Crewman 1st Class

Post by markc » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:45 pm

I would love to see other TNG actors make cameos on the new show. Data, maybe Warf or Riker.

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:41 pm

markc wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:45 pm
I would love to see other TNG actors make cameos on the new show. Data, maybe Warf or Riker.
if and this is a big IF it does make our screen i just hope they will not do shit like they did in discovery, and the recent trek movies and shit all over canon

sirus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sirus » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:40 pm

Given the current rumor mill information and given the source, I find it difficult to believe that this new show is going to be the Trek any of us are looking for. Les Moonves has never been a fan of Trek and once more I am forced to wonder why this is all going on and the answer seems to be a simple one, money. There are enough Trekkies willing to swallow whatever crap they come out with to make it worth their while, or at least I am betting that is what they thought.

At this point, I am all but done with the franchise. I will still enjoy the shows of the past and still participate in the fandom, but really this isn't the same sort of thing I got into all those years ago and I can't help but think that I am being milked for money, and at this point, I am not going to pay out.

I would rather watch Orville or hope that some fan series will take a leaf from Seth Macfarlane's book and either set fan series in the Orville universe or in another new universe that isn't owned by CBS.

I think if enough fans begin making fan films set in Trek-like universes we will enter a new golden age of Star Trek and I honestly hope we can get there, but I fear CBS and more specifically the people who care more about milking the fandom than telling stories the fandom wants, people who care more about who holds what rights than making something the fans will love. I think the return of Picard will stir up some interest in the show, but I don't think it will do enough to save this franchise at this point.

At least Enterprise didn't make me want to stop watching any new Trek (one could also say that at least the prequels didn't make me stop looking forward to more Star Wars too).

I cannot help but feel like we have left the era of getting the shows we want from the major media networks and instead now look to something new. I think Seth Macfarlane's Orville is the endpoint of CBS being able to control the fandom, being able to milk Trekkies like this. It proves that you don't need to be Star Trek to be Star Trek. In my mind, this can be very good as it means that the control of what Star Trek is and how it is done will slip from CBS's grasp and into the outstretched arms of a fandom that isn't going to die.

TL;DR - Star Trek is dead, long live Star Trek
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com