Star Trek: Picard

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
You are free to offer your opinions on a show, episode, book, film, film series, cinematic universe, etc., as long as it applies to that item, and not to the stated or assumed political views of the producers, writers, actors, key grip, best boy, intern, etc., of said item. In short, you want to talk about a show or movie, talk about the show or movie.

Others are free to disagree with your opinion. (You are not entitled to express your opinion in a vacuum.) BUT that opposing opinion must follow the same requirements above that the original opinion had to follow, as well as not bringing in the assumed political views of the original poster. (I leave out "stated" as they should not state any political position here on STPMA.)

ALSO, do not toss about derogatory labels at someone who offers an opinion in opposition to yours. No name calling, political labels (SJW, etc.,) questioning their humanity, morality, ethics, true fan status, or your assumption they are in the business to protect a certain fandom (gatekeeping, etc.). Again, discuss the show or movie not the politics or motives of another poster.

If you dislike something, it's perfectly fine to say so. However, posting your dislike every time someone else says anything positive about a show or movie, essentially stating the same thing over and over again is not acceptable. If you have something new to add, or are replying to a specific point in someone else's comment, okay. But if it's just to state once again, "IT SUCKS!" Don't.
captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Star Trek: Picard

Post by captainuniverse » Thu May 16, 2019 12:28 am

https://trekmovie.com/2019/05/15/get-a- ... card-show/

I thought people might be interested and want to discuss this subject. If it’s okay with our Metron overseer, Michael...
"In brightest day, in blackest night,

No evil shall escape my sight.

Let those who worship evil's might

Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!"

sirus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek: Picard

Post by sirus » Thu May 16, 2019 6:46 am

You know, I can only be fooled so many times. Nothing about this sounds good to me. Nothing I have heard of the behind the scenes makes me feel like this show is going to do for me what STD failed to do for me.

I am so freaking tired of fighting in this community, both this forum and the larger Trek fandom. Honestly I continuously wish Star Trek had stayed dead. When it was dead at least the fan films and fanfics continued to pour out. There was still Trek to consume. But then again it wasn't going to stay dead. Not when there was money to be made. And now the fan films are gone and I just can't seem to get into fanfics right now.

I don't dislike new Trek for what it is, I dislike it for what it does. It sows division. And I'm done. I won't be watching the new show...

Also the name is stupid...
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Thu May 16, 2019 8:51 am

I don't know enough yet to make any kind of judgment on the show itself.

But the idea of revisiting Picard several years later does appeal to me.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Thu May 16, 2019 9:22 am

Michael wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:51 am
I don't know enough yet to make any kind of judgment on the show itself.

But the idea of revisiting Picard several years later does appeal to me.
same for me. know nothing and heard nothing about this show, but will give it a chance
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 2,999- AUGUST 4th

Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Sat May 18, 2019 1:39 pm

sirus wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:46 am
You know, I can only be fooled so many times. Nothing about this sounds good to me. Nothing I have heard of the behind the scenes makes me feel like this show is going to do for me what STD failed to do for me.

I am so freaking tired of fighting in this community, both this forum and the larger Trek fandom. Honestly I continuously wish Star Trek had stayed dead. When it was dead at least the fan films and fanfics continued to pour out. There was still Trek to consume. But then again it wasn't going to stay dead. Not when there was money to be made. And now the fan films are gone and I just can't seem to get into fanfics right now.

I don't dislike new Trek for what it is, I dislike it for what it does. It sows division. And I'm done. I won't be watching the new show...

Also the name is stupid...
I'm pretty much with you on this. Nothing of what I've read on the series makes me well up with anticipation or glee, part of that will be my deep disappointment in "Star Trek" Discovery. I've given up feeling like I need to defend my opinions on it, if other fans want to brand me toxic and rant and rave about how I don't know what I'm talking about, that's for them to get worked up over, I won't be losing any sleep over it.

As for Picard, seeing as how it'll be on Amazon here I'm sure as hell not going to pay for that as well as Netflix. Unless the show manages to cast off the shackles of the latest series and actually get back to being good then I suspect I may just have to remain entrenched firmly in the past.

The name is also very stupid. It's been in development for months now and that is the best they can come up with!
Avatar: Captain Adele Beaumont, [i]U.S.S. Shepard[/i]
Artist: gazomg

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Post by JaceRidley » Mon May 20, 2019 5:29 pm

I'm just gonna ignore the predictably negative commentary from the peanut gallery and get to the important stuff...

I'm super excited for the series.

Between the information they've given(which is sparse but there is some) and character choices, and the casting, this looks like it could be phenomenal.

How anyone could wish death upon the franchise and still call themselves a fan is beyond me...

For anyone who's somehow missed the series details that HAVE been announced:

"CBS confirmed the show will take place 20 years after Nemesis, making this the farthest into the future any Star Trek show has had its primary setting"

Acclaimed novelist Michael Chabon is executive producing. He's the one who wrote the Short Trek "Calypso" for Discovery. Johnathan Frakes is on board as a director for multiple episodes.

"The destruction of Romulus will play into the series: That's all Kurtzman would say. It plays a part, but we'll have to wait and see what exactly that is.

Stewart is guiding the train about what's right for the character: Stewart reportedly told Kurtzman and the writers, "I want you have the freedom to explore this character from a new perspective, and I will always know in my gut if it feels like something he would or wouldn't do." Kurtzman said the writers are prioritizing thinking about Picard's feelings and perspective, but ultimately Stewart has the say in what feels correct.

"We feel confident that we're making choices that he would be happy with and is happy with because ultimately he's a producer on the show, too, and he gets as much of a say," Kurtzman said."

Cast:
"Big Little Lies hunk Santiago Cabrera and Blindspot's Michelle Hurd have been added as series regulars, but details about who they're playing remain tightly under wraps. The cast will also include American Horror Story: Cult's Alison Pill, Hamilton alum Isa Briones, and The Crown's Harry Treadaway."

sirus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by sirus » Wed May 22, 2019 11:49 pm

Well, Trekmovie is showing off the new uniform, so I figured I'd share the link...

https://trekmovie.com/2019/05/22/a-clos ... ek-picard/

Personally, I'm not impressed. Feels like a step backward from the NEM uniforms. I was hoping to see the NEM uniforms updated or at least get something that didn't feel like the ones from Voyager, which are honestly my least favorite Trek uniforms (even more then the TMP ones).

ryjuda.deviantart.com

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Post by JaceRidley » Thu May 23, 2019 12:17 pm

I'll do you one better...

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Thu May 23, 2019 2:21 pm

I like it!
-Michael Gray

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Thu May 23, 2019 9:08 pm

sirus wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:49 pm

Personally, I'm not impressed. Feels like a step backward from the NEM uniforms. I was hoping to see the NEM uniforms updated or at least get something that didn't feel like the ones from Voyager, which are honestly my least favorite Trek uniforms (even more then the TMP ones).
totally agree

even enterprise uniforms were better

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Post by JaceRidley » Fri May 24, 2019 2:39 am

I'm starting to wonder if there's a subset of people who gather to just grouse about all the shit they hate about everything.

Do you guys even LIKE Star Trek ? Because, it sure as hell doesn't seem like it.... lol

Just incredible.

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Post by JaceRidley » Fri May 24, 2019 2:49 am

Oh and by the way...

Of COURSE it's a step backwards from the Nemesis Uniforms.

Those were Wartime uniforms. Standardized. Grey. Military in style far more than Starfleet tends to ever do. Lacking in color or identity but utilitarian. Did you miss the point of those being introduced alongside the Dominion threat and the Borg invasion? Even in the "All Good Things..." era eps of various shows featuring alt-futures that never will come to be, and those terrible high-waisted, very 90s designs they had reverted back to a uniform that was more tunic and jumpsuit in style that featured brighter colors.

This is literally them taking a step backwards away from the militarization while updating the design to be more "modern"/futuristic and saying "We're not at war."

The new unis look good. The new badge looks good. The new SHOW looks good.

New Star Trek is GOOD.

sirus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by sirus » Fri May 24, 2019 7:38 am

You know, Jace. It is amazing how often you seem to mistake your opinion for fact. I at least own my opinion as my opinion and little more.

As for the new uniforms, they look okay. They are fine. I might grow to like them more, but for now I haven't seen enough of them to tell. I don't like the split delta on the commbadge. It looks fine. Nothing about this looks that great. That's my issue. Also the new uniforms in the clips seen look a little cheap... Almost like they were made in a hurry to appease the demands of someone... Like the merchandisers... But those are just rumors.

As for the teaser, the only thing it makes me want is a bottle of Chateau Picard... I'll have to pick one up one of these days.

I will be watching this show and I'll make up my mind about it once I see more than this. I don't have high hopes because it is being mad by the same people as STD and I did not enjoy that show.

I often feel like I'm not "allowed" to dislike something and express it here. I might avoid it from now on.

ryjuda.deviantart.com

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Fri May 24, 2019 7:48 am

sirus wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:38 am
I often feel like I'm not "allowed" to dislike something and express it here. I might avoid it from now on.
You are allowed to dislike something (even a Trek show) and express it here.

However, other people are allowed to question that dislike and express that as well.

Both of course must be done within the rules.
-Michael Gray

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Fri May 24, 2019 9:41 am

JaceRidley wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:39 am
I'm starting to wonder if there's a subset of people who gather to just grouse about all the shit they hate about everything.

Do you guys even LIKE Star Trek ? Because, it sure as hell doesn't seem like it.... lol

Just incredible.
As Sirus said you act like your opinion is something like fact, which it is not, is just opinion like sirus, and mine.. and many others
This is a discussion forum, opinions will be given, but accusing people on here as simply haters because their opinion does not agree with yours dont make it true.

I have read many posts by people who did not have much faith in Discovery, myself included and was quick to mention how pleasantly surprised I was when I saw it.There is no agenda, its simply a matter of personal taste.
I held little hope for the abrams shit, and was proven right on that crap in my opinion.
Who are these people you think HATE EVERYTHING ?
Enlighten me, or is this a wild claim?