Star Trek: Picard

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
You are free to offer your opinions on a show, episode, book, film, film series, cinematic universe, etc., as long as it applies to that item, and not to the stated or assumed political views of the producers, writers, actors, key grip, best boy, intern, etc., of said item. In short, you want to talk about a show or movie, talk about the show or movie.

Others are free to disagree with your opinion. (You are not entitled to express your opinion in a vacuum.) BUT that opposing opinion must follow the same requirements above that the original opinion had to follow, as well as not bringing in the assumed political views of the original poster. (I leave out "stated" as they should not state any political position here on STPMA.)

ALSO, do not toss about derogatory labels at someone who offers an opinion in opposition to yours. No name calling, political labels (SJW, etc.,) questioning their humanity, morality, ethics, true fan status, or your assumption they are in the business to protect a certain fandom (gatekeeping, etc.). Again, discuss the show or movie not the politics or motives of another poster.

If you dislike something, it's perfectly fine to say so. However, posting your dislike every time someone else says anything positive about a show or movie, essentially stating the same thing over and over again is not acceptable. If you have something new to add, or are replying to a specific point in someone else's comment, okay. But if it's just to state once again, "IT SUCKS!" Don't.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Re: Star Trek: Picard

Post by JM1776 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:00 am

It's a wee bit possible, sure. It's also poorly executed. The entwining of hands and joyful face seems out of character for Seven, especially on such short notice. Oh, and ... because of the rate at which sexual relations progress in this setting, holding hands is a precursor to gettin' busy. There's ample precedent for that. This ain't the County Fair in the 40's, after all. It's the ultra-liberal 24th/25th century. You're clearly supposed to assume they were intimate soon after, or even soon before, this scene.

I think you need to reconsider your tone a tad, Michael, as if you're the only one being reasonable here. That just ain't so.

I find the Rios/Jurati move almost as objectionable, but I dismiss that largely because I consider casual sex indicative of poor impulse control and moral bankruptcy, and my personal beliefs, in this day and age, fall into the distinct minority. (Frankly, I don't think anyone wants the opinion of the Catholic League, so we'll move on from there immediately.) Both those characters, though, have little to no historical precedent establishing their sexuality, so it's far more forgivable, even acceptable.

I have no objection to heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual characters. (Though it came up only once, I wrote Erika Benteen as bisexual, and no one batted an eyelash, because the character made nary a sexual move in "Homefront" or "Paradise Lost.") I have no objection to changes in behavior or demeanor. I do have an objection to writers yanking a character around to where they want it, simply to provide jollies and/or appease/mollify a certain demographic. That seems, to me, to be what's happening here. Seven is well-established, pre-Picard, as heterosexual. Could you argue that she was still in the early stages of exploring her sexuality with that dude in Unimatrix Zero and then Chakotay? I suppose. But all, and I mean all, indications were that she was straight. So the slight "hey, you guys are just homophobes" undercurrent I'm starting to detect is not cool. Thus, with regret, I have to call you out a bit on that.

Your point as relates to Seven, thus, would have more validity if this weren't a ten-episode run, the first of multiple seasons, with plenty of time to develop intimate relationships without cramming, synthesizing, or worst, imposing them. Writers don't get to talk about character development if they then don't actually develop the characters.

In short, one can argue on multiple levels, as you well know. My problems with Seven's about face are not in the least based upon my religious convictions, because such are not applicable to the topic. They are based instead on my long experience as a writer, one you have praised extensively for his feel as relates to character development.

This doesn't work. It's been made to work. Huge difference.

(Note that my knee hasn't jerked once. Is it possible yours did, defensively?)

Now, on reflection, I guess one could say that the Seven/Raffi interactions and intimacy were developed as much as was possible with everything else going on. That's certainly an argument, and may well speak to what's actually happening here. Maybe there's no agenda whatsoever.

Maybe, instead, it's just shitty writing.
"'You think you're pretty smart, don't you, Trebek, what with your Dago mustache and your greasy hair."

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:50 am

it is shitty writing, its forced and done by people who think fuck the fans they will take what we give them and accept it.
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 3,275 - MARCH 1st

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:06 am

JM1776 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:00 am
Now, on reflection, I guess one could say that the Seven/Raffi interactions and intimacy were developed as much as was possible with everything else going on. That's certainly an argument, and may well speak to what's actually happening here. Maybe there's no agenda whatsoever.

Maybe, instead, it's just shitty writing.
Would I have liked to have seen more between Seven and Raffi before we got to the hand holding scene? Yes. But the lack of it isn't a problem for me at this point. How they handle it in the next season might change my opinion.

Anyway...

While season one of Picard is far from perfect, I did enjoy it. I'd give it two and half out of four stars.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:20 am

Michael wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:06 am
While season one of Picard is far from perfect, I did enjoy it. I'd give it two and half out of four stars.
I'd go, instead, two out of four stars [more specifically 1.875 or so, if we're going to get gymnastics technical], and largely if not entirely redeemed by the last four episodes in toto. Until then, it had garnered from me barely a star-and-a-half, like a 1.375, mostly on sentiment.

Contrast this with Star Trek: Discovery, Season One, which I award two stars (it barely avoids a mere one-and-a-half [we're talking like 1.75 here, with the merest nod upward], and I can't imagine suffering through those again), and Season Two, which nets two-and-a-half (closer to three than two [at perhaps 2.625 ... quite watchable, though not eligible for much repeat viewing]), despite my intense dislike of the lead character ("Mary Sue ... paging Mary Sue"), abuse of name recognition (the "adopted daughter of Sarek" schtick was and remains complete and unadulterated bullshit), stolen ideas and concepts (they did swipe the Tartigrade drive idea) and annoyingly unrealistic "allowances," pun intended (I like Tilly as a person, but she's just enough of a "fat chick" that she'd never make weight standard on a Starfleet ship, where they clearly pride themselves on physical conditioning). I've heard counter-arguments against each of these positions, but they're not nearly strong enough to win the day. I stand firmly, and correctly, by each.

Picard certainly earns enough cachet to garner my attention for Season Two, but ... it was and remains disappointing.

Oh, and ... I use a four-star scale.
"'You think you're pretty smart, don't you, Trebek, what with your Dago mustache and your greasy hair."

Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Gazomg » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:28 pm

The Seven raffy thing was definitely a minus.
Killing Icheb to give Seven some motivation is one thing, but killing him and Hugh and Maddox seemed like overkill...if you excuse the pun.
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 3,275 - MARCH 1st