Star Wars: Episode 8: The Last Jedi

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.
captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Star Wars: Episode 8: The Last Jedi

Post by captainuniverse » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:41 pm

"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Re: Star Wars: Episode 8: The Last Jedi

Post by Michael » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:31 pm

Cap, I think that's a fan made video from last year. Did you by chance post the wrong link?
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:55 pm

No, it's the official link that I got off of Facebook from the Official Star Wars page.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:23 pm

captainuniverse wrote:No, it's the official link that I got off of Facebook from the Official Star Wars page.
Someone must have posted the wrong link on Facebook. The date on that video is Jul 9, 2016. And the trailer was just released April 14, 2017.

Here's the trailer from the Star Wars Youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4I68XVPzQ):
-Michael Gray

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:46 pm

My apologies. The one who posted it has been handed over to the Bounty Hunters Guild. I'm told they were delicious. :D

"Geronimo!"

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:57 pm

captainuniverse wrote: I'm told they were delicious. :D
:twisted:
-Michael Gray

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:01 pm

And a new trailer...

My initial reaction is... ):(

Maybe after repeated viewing I'll have something more to say about it.
-Michael Gray

FltCpt. Bossco
-Fleet Captain-
-Fleet Captain-

Post by FltCpt. Bossco » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:10 pm

Anyone seen the new Movie yet?

I have I am sad to say. It's the worst Star Wars movie of all. The only thing they got right was the title "The Last Jedi" because there will never be another Jedi.

Mark 2017 as a landmark year it's seen the death of Star Wars, Star Trek and Alien. So glad they are waiting for 2018 to finish off Predator.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Interesting. I thought it was the best Star Wars movie I've ever seen, surpassing even The Empire Strikes Back.

But, then, the franchise does not resonate with me the way it does most of my generation. I found the iconoclasm refreshing, while many traditionalists no doubt thought it blasphemy.

And, frankly, Star Wars, after another film or two, needs to die. Enough is enough.
Compare the behavior of Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams, then tell me who's the real champion.

FltCpt. Bossco
-Fleet Captain-
-Fleet Captain-

Post by FltCpt. Bossco » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:10 pm

I willing to give any movie a chance but to call this one a Star Wars Movie is a joke. It should have gone straight to DVD just like all the new Trek movies should have. After this movie I don't see why they even need another movie but I am sure it will happen.

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:41 pm

Your opinion is noted, twice now. I feel no need to reiterate mine.

I enjoyed it. You didn't. Since I don't concede that your taste is superior (or, in this case, nearly as good), we'll agree to disagree.

On the other hand, insofar as the new Trek films are concerned (or, rather, the only one I've seen), we're in complete accord.
Compare the behavior of Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams, then tell me who's the real champion.

FltCpt. Bossco
-Fleet Captain-
-Fleet Captain-

Post by FltCpt. Bossco » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:36 pm

JM1776 wrote:Your opinion is noted, twice now. I feel no need to reiterate mine.

I enjoyed it. You didn't. Since I don't concede that your taste is superior (or, in this case, nearly as good), we'll agree to disagree.

On the other hand, insofar as the new Trek films are concerned (or, rather, the only one I've seen), we're in complete accord.

My last commit was not directed at you JM I was just ranting more. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I do find it interesting though that you liked the new movie.

I am glad we can agree on one thing though.
Some advice do your self a favor and never watch the other Trek movies. (\gorn/)

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:43 pm

FltCpt. Bossco wrote:My last commit was not directed at you JM I was just ranting more.
Ah. Very good, then. Catharsis can be quite beneficial.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I do find it interesting though that you liked the new movie.
Closer to loved, actually. It easily surpassed any of the prequels, though Revenge of the Sith had its moments.
I am glad we can agree on one thing though. Some advice do your self a favor and never watch the other Trek movies. (\gorn/)
Your advice will be heeded.

sirus
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by sirus » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:23 am

Having seen the movie 2 times now I must say the level of hatred toward it confuses me. To me it is almost as good as Empire. I am truly stumped by the "fans" this time around. Everyone I went with to see it loved it, the theater seemed to eat it up.

I do not get the vitriolic feelings of some people on this. I saw the movie as the first big step forward for Star Wars since RotJ. It changed things yes, but it explained why.

To me one of the big sticking points was Luke and whether or not a good man can think about doing an evil act. The answer to me is yes, the difference would be if the good man did it. But to some fans it seems to be the fact that Luke even considered an evil act was a bridge to far. But I remember Luke looming over Darth Vader for a long moment ready to kill him before he made his choice not to. To me what makes Luke a hero is considering the evil action but taking the good one.

But then again I went into this movie wanting to have an enjoyable time and not needed my fan theories validated and it seems some fans I have heard complaining did the opposite.

Anyway, long story short I loved the movie and I really don't understand the people who hate on it.

(Also if you compare Leia to Mary Poppins and not Superman GTFO because that was clearly a Superman pose not a Mary Poppins pose a and the only reason people are pulling the Mary Poppins bullshit is because she is a woman)
From ignorance lead me to truth
From darkness lead me to light
From death lead me to immortality

ryjuda.deviantart.com

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:53 pm

I went to see The Last Jedi today. I had some thoughts...

I thought it was better than The Force Awakens. But while I didn't think it was a bad movie, I didn't think it an especially good one either. The humor went overboard, and stole the tension out of too many scenes, and in a couple of places, knocked me out of the movie for a bit. My biggest problem with some of the humor and some other lines of dialogue were that they were too contemporary. Imagine if Frodo had said, "That sounds cool, Gandalf!" in one of the Lord of the Rings films.

Some spoilers:
Spoiler:
I liked the idea of Luke walking away from teaching new Jedi. I thought that was an interesting direction to take the character. I just wish they had dug into it more.

Leia being blown out into space and then flying back into the ship was too much.

Finn and Rose's little adventure also strained the film's believability. If they could jump to hyperspace, and then return, why couldn't the pursuing bad guys jump to hyperspace, and then jump back closer to the good guys and blow them away without this long drawn out pursuit?

Snoke seemed just a cardboard cutout bad guy. We had no idea what motivated him, where he came from, or what he ultimately wanted, just that he was EVIL. And then he dies. I'm not asking for a lot, but something, anything would have been preferable to what we got.

Kylo Ren, who I thought was close to worthless in the last film, had some of the better character stuff in this one, making him, aside from Luke, the most interesting character.

Kylo Ren and Poe are the only characters who change much in this film. There weren't any major revelations, no important questions raised, nor answered. The situation at the end of the film is pretty much the same as it was at the beginning--- the bad guys have pretty much taken over, and the good guys are on the run, but fewer in number.
There's some fun stuff to look at, and there are couple of fun actions scenes, but we had that in the prequels. I was expecting more from this movie.

I'd give it two out of four stars.
-Michael Gray