Login |  Register |  FAQ

Forum rules

For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.

Ghost in the Shell and other "failures"

Post subject: Ghost in the Shell and other "failures"
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:06 pm 
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

Dear friends,

after having finally seen the new Ghost in the Shell, I have come to some truely strange observations.

Bluntly put... what the frick? Why do so many people keep pissing all over perfectly fine movies? It's not just Ghost in the Shell, it's also any new Trek, Star Wars, Ghostbuster 2016, Suicide Squad, Batman V Superman, Catwoman and even Batman & Robin. Seriously, I don't get why folks feel the need to downcheck these movies. Am I missing something?

I'll stick to Ghost in the Shell just now. I was a big fan of the Mangas and Anime adaptation. I truely enjoyed reading and watching those and am also truely unhappy the Mangas (and some merchandise) were lost in the last move. When I watched this new movie with my husband, I was engrossed in the atmosphere of its world and found the theme to be set up in a way we were discussing its implications two days later. Of course there were scenes that reminded me of the original - and sometimes they seemed a bit ripped off. But they were done beautifully and just out-of-touch enough to not take me out of the story. Plus this is one of the few movies where I welcome CGI being done everywhere because it offers the cyber feel the movie is about. Going into this watch I figured it would be a nice replay of old themes done with mediorce special effects. What I got was a good reboot with some old themes, some new themes and well-done CGI. 15€ well spent. Darn it just now my husband and I began another argument about whether we're be more put off by building-high hologram advertisements or street markings that move.

Going to the big "awful" movie out there: Batman & Robin. Everyone seems to hate it. I honestly don't understand this. The movie is by no means Oscar-worthy, but neither is it hate-worthy. When I first saw it I saw 1966 Batman done with more money and a little less charme. The characters are just as over-the-top as the ones in the 1966 series. The plot is almost as simple - with the added bonus of having two villains done by two actors who can pull them off working together/against each other. When I pull out this movie from my DVD shelf and out of its Batman collection box, I do so hoping to get fun light entertainment with a pinch of comedy. That's exactly what I get.

I could go on with the other movies I've listed - and many others. Is this art? Absolutely. Is this good art? Eye of the Beholder and all that. The movies I have listed have all been enjoyed by me. I wasn't too happy with the Wrath-of-Khan-Reboot, but that's because the story didn't appeal to me and of all the Trek series, TOS is my least favorite. So on that one, 12€ badly spent. The DVD has been sold quickly. 6€ returned.

Which brings me around to the newest "problem" show. Why the big fuss about Star Trek Discovery? I haven't seen much more than a trailer and frankly, it looks like the movie Abrams should've made instead of rehashing an old series with old characters and old storylines. Besides, before having watched a few episodes I suspend all comment. How can I judge something I don't know? And no. I will not shell out 15€ a month to see it. It'll come around Amazon Fire TV sooner or later.

So I beg you, explain this hype thing to me. How come such trivial things can hold your emotions/attention/time long before they even get published... and sometimes long after? How on earth do people summon the energy to get worked up about this sort of thing in the middle of work/family/finances/housework/sundry stuff? I surely don't have it. I prefer making sure all my lose ends in life don't get lost or tangled up too badly. Besides, no one ever forced me to watch a certain show/movie/whatnot. Well, if you're with friends, maybe. But then I care much more about my friends than what's on the lookie-thingy.

Thank you for allowing me to rant for a while.
Take Care and have a nice day!
RIP

Some people just want to watch the world burn... not because of the pretty colors but because after the fire, there comes rejuvination.

Post subject: Re: Ghost in the Shell and other "failures"
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:20 pm 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Time was I would have answered at length, with a point-by-point response.

Now ... I get it.

We decide what we value, and we cling to it. Sometimes it's people, a self-image, a home.

Sometimes it's a TV show.

In the end, everything disappoints.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:08 pm 
Klingon Moderator
Klingon Moderator

Dear Joe,

whatever it is... I wish you the best of luck. Believe me I've been down some dirty roads myself and so far I've come through. You can do it too. I believe in you.

And yes, I kinda figured it's the clinging thing. But then again, why not cling to something tangible? And even more important, even if you do get clingy about something, why do (some) people feel the need to oppose their opinions on other to a degree that they force artists to apologize for their attempts to entertain us?

Is the American society in such shambles that these things have become such a big issue? I have read much about the stress of worklife increasing hundredfold for you people on many different occaisons. And with work stress there appears to be a large amount of financial stress, what with crippling school fees and such. Have these things maybe summoned this irrational behaviour?

Mind you, I have lived in the US for almost a year and I've learnt to love the people who live there. Our household has taken over a significant amount of American house rules and many American behaviours have benefitted me personally and professionally in many ways. So basically, I'm kinda worried you guys are circling some sort of drain - as a society. And mind you, I am by no means referring to certain developments in your government. Trust me when I say there have been plenty more controversial governments out there. I'm German, just sayin'.

Love,
RIP

Some people just want to watch the world burn... not because of the pretty colors but because after the fire, there comes rejuvination.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:52 pm 
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

RIP wrote:
So basically, I'm kinda worried you guys are circling some sort of drain—as a society. And mind you, I am by no means referring to certain developments in your government.

Anything I say would stray too far into political commentary, and Michael would be forced to lay the smack down, rightly so.

I find it interesting that as I've lost faith in the United States, I've grown fonder of Captain America. I wonder why that is?

That last, of course, was rhetorical. I know exactly why.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:45 pm 
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

i personally liked and enjoyed ghost in the shell but it had some wtf moments. saw it on a date with a lady i met at a local convention, she said they left out out a lot of stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:39 am 
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

I thought Ghost in the Shell was pretty good but then I could’ve been blinded by the shiny bells and baubles. Netflix has a pretty good live action movie of Fullmetal Alchemist out.

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.