STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
You are free to offer your opinions on a show, episode, book, film, film series, cinematic universe, etc., as long as it applies to that item, and not to the stated or assumed political views of the producers, writers, actors, key grip, best boy, intern, etc., of said item. In short, you want to talk about a show or movie, talk about the show or movie.

Others are free to disagree with your opinion. (You are not entitled to express your opinion in a vacuum.) BUT that opposing opinion must follow the same requirements above that the original opinion had to follow, as well as not bringing in the assumed political views of the original poster. (I leave out "stated" as they should not state any political position here on STPMA.)

ALSO, do not toss about derogatory labels at someone who offers an opinion in opposition to yours. No name calling, political labels (SJW, etc.,) questioning their humanity, morality, ethics, true fan status, or your assumption they are in the business to protect a certain fandom (gatekeeping, etc.). Again, discuss the show or movie not the politics or motives of another poster.

If you dislike something, it's perfectly fine to say so. However, posting your dislike every time someone else says anything positive about a show or movie, essentially stating the same thing over and over again is not acceptable. If you have something new to add, or are replying to a specific point in someone else's comment, okay. But if it's just to state once again, "IT SUCKS!" Don't.
Lionheart
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

Re: STAR WARS - EPISODE IX Trailer

Post by Lionheart » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:22 pm

I'll go see it, just to put an end to it, but my expectations are extremely low.
"What is life? It is the flash of the firefly at night, it is the breath of the moose in winter. It is the shadow which runs along the grass and loses itself in the sunset." - First Nation Quote

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:00 pm

captainuniverse wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:16 pm
Emperor Michaeltime is back. Time for Admiral Tattok to come out of retirement.

Oopsit, that's Star Wars, not Star Trek. \Y/
:twisted:

::sabre::

A note to one and all...

Please show mercy toward your weary admins and mods who might not get a chance to see the movie until next week or later (and who can't avoid reading the thread), and please place any spoilery material in spoiler tags. Thank you! [-o<
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:22 pm

It was good. \Y/
"In brightest day, in blackest night,

No evil shall escape my sight.

Let those who worship evil's might

Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!"

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:48 am

I went to see the movie today. It was fun for what it was, but I'd only give it a two out of four stars. Overall too predictable in far too many places. The surprises it did have weren't enough to save it from feeling stale overall.
Spoiler:
I did enjoy seeing Palpatine again. Ian McDiarmid is always mesmerizing when he plays that character. And he did not disappoint this time.

I thought Kylo Ren was much better written this time. Adam Driver puts all he can into this character, but he can only do so much with what he had given to him on the page. In fact, I'd say that's my assessment of all the characters and the actors behind them. The actors are doing all they can to put life into these characters, but unfortunately, the characters are far too shallow. They never achieve any depth because they exist only as tools for the plot to wield to its ends.

This is one of my chief criticisms of every Abrams film I've seen--the characters exist to service the plot. There is no depth given to them because the plot is rushed along at such a breakneck speed that the characters don't have a chance to drive the story themselves. They're swept away by the tsunami of the plot.

And on that plot... I wouldn't say there were plot holes as much as plot canyons. Instead of going from A to B to C and so forth, it seemed to go from A to D to G to J, skipping vital information or character motivations.

And why add all these new characters only to sideline others which had already been introduced in previous films? Rose who played a significant role in the last film had hardly any screen time here, and she certainly wasn't anywhere near as crucial to the events in this film.

I really went into this one, hoping I'd see Star Wars blossom once again. Unfortunately, what I saw was more of the same convoluted plot driven kind of storytelling that plagued "The Force Awakens" as well as the prequels.

It is stunning to me that Disney is able to make the Marvel films work, producing over 20+ films using various writers and directors, but couldn't seem to get three Star Wars films written and directed by far fewer people to work even half as well.

Some day, someone is going to make a good Star Wars film again. I just hope I live long enough to see it.
-Michael Gray

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:28 pm

Finally... Michaeltine is defeated. Rest easy, Yoda can, now. \Y/

Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Post by Michael » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:42 pm

captainuniverse wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:28 pm
Finally... Michaeltine is defeated. Rest easy, Yoda can, now. \Y/
Spoiler:
If I can come back from the dead once... :twisted:
-Michael Gray

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:46 pm

Yeah, but it would be as a slave to Joe Manno, you would. ::sabre::

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Post by JM1776 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:56 am

Ironic that I'm watching The Two Popes, even now.
You don't have to admire a person's convictions even if you do admire their courage in espousing them