Star Trek Discovery - Season 3

Star Trek related discussion, information, links, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
You are free to offer your opinions on a show, episode, book, film, film series, cinematic universe, etc., as long as it applies to that item, and not to the stated or assumed political views of the producers, writers, actors, key grip, best boy, intern, etc., of said item. In short, you want to talk about a show or movie, talk about the show or movie.

Others are free to disagree with your opinion. (You are not entitled to express your opinion in a vacuum.) BUT that opposing opinion must follow the same requirements above that the original opinion had to follow, as well as not bringing in the assumed political views of the original poster. (I leave out "stated" as they should not state any political position here on STPMA.)

ALSO, do not toss about derogatory labels at someone who offers an opinion in opposition to yours. No name calling, political labels (SJW, etc.,) questioning their humanity, morality, ethics, true fan status, or your assumption they are in the business to protect a certain fandom (gatekeeping, etc.). Again, discuss the show or movie not the politics or motives of another poster.

If you dislike something, it's perfectly fine to say so. However, posting your dislike every time someone else says anything positive about a show or movie, essentially stating the same thing over and over again is not acceptable. If you have something new to add, or are replying to a specific point in someone else's comment, okay. But if it's just to state once again, "IT SUCKS!" Don't.
User avatar
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
Posts: 13407
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: North of the North Pole
Contact:

Star Trek Discovery - Season 3

Post by Michael » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:58 pm

Here's a trailer for the next season of Discovery:
-Michael Gray
Image
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

User avatar
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG
Posts: 3478
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:49 am
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3

Post by jayphailey » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:00 pm

!!!!

I thought they'd "Put Discovery on a Bus" !

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PutOnABus
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG
Posts: 3478
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:49 am
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3

Post by jayphailey » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:13 pm

I am reminded of "Andromeda"

In a post Apocalyptic Galaxy, a time lost Federation Starship works to rebuild the Federation.

Earth 2, Genesis and Andromeda.

The advantage for producers is that since you're in a distant future post Federation galaxy, You can avoid most of the baggage of the old continuity by saying it was all destroyed except for whatever the writers want to reference.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
Posts: 13945
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky
Contact:

Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3

Post by JM1776 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:32 am

I think it's license for "anything goes," yeah.

It'll play for the crowd who has no real attachment to Star Trek. TPTB get to keep and use the Star Trek name, yet pull any fuckin' bullshit they want without prickling the canon-iers' feathers.

It's the perfect setup for them.

Of course, that's basically what you said, Jay, sans the cynicism.
"The Chargers previously said Taylor suffered complications from an injection."

Their team doctor punctured his lung while administering a pain reliever, so ... technically, that's true, right?

CalUserSTfan89
Crewman 2nd Class
Crewman 2nd Class
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 13, 2020 2:31 pm

Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3

Post by CalUserSTfan89 » Wed May 13, 2020 3:20 pm

I am one of the few people who liked the Federation Starship designs from season one, John Eaves I thought did a fantastic job that first year given all the behind the scenes challenges. If I were the people in charge of Discovery, I would continue to use those designs as opposed to the more angular material seen in Season 2. With that being said, the fact this upcoming season is far into the future ..aside from Discovery I doubt I will see any familiar looking ship designs nor would I expect to see any.

-Cal

User avatar
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
Posts: 13407
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: North of the North Pole
Contact:

Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3

Post by Michael » Thu May 14, 2020 12:41 am

CalUserSTfan89 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:20 pm
With that being said, the fact this upcoming season is far into the future ..aside from Discovery I doubt I will see any familiar looking ship designs nor would I expect to see any.
I am really looking forward to what they do in Season 3. One of the things I liked about Picard was that we were once again getting forward looking Trek instead of prequels to what we'd seen before. This could be really amazing stuff.

Welcome to STPMA, Cal! 8)
-Michael Gray
Image
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

User avatar
Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore
Posts: 2220
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:11 am
Location: The Emerald Isle
Contact:

Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3

Post by Gazomg » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:13 pm

Returns October 13th....for 13 uninterrupted weeks.
Right after Lower Decks finishes

http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/07/star-t ... ctober-15/
Image
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 3,078 - SEPTEMBER 25th

User avatar
Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore
Posts: 2220
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:11 am
Location: The Emerald Isle
Contact:

Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3

Post by Gazomg » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:08 pm

The show always sucked because the writers cared more about pc and appearing woke than giving a flying fuck about the actual characters.

We have Burnham who completely dominates the show, and the whole show seems to be about her, sod the rest of the crew, the history of trekdom etc. No surprise she is not only a woman, but black. Then we have stamets and his boyfriend to tick the box for the gays, and they cannot give them a decent story.. The only white straight male I could think of as a full cast member was Saru, and he plays an alien. The best actor on the show was Pike, who played a white straight male, but he is out the gap, and why SNW will in my opinion be better than discovery, because it will be near impossible to be worse.

The head admiral a woman, the klingon leader a woman, in fact all the women are portrayed in a positive light , Now they hired 2 more people to tick even more pc boxes, in a case where actors, one with zero experience, are being hired , not on ability, but because of their "differences", this is a case of writing parts for the actors, instead of the actors playing the parts wrote for the character.

Picard sucked, managed just the one episode of the latest cartoon series as that was insulting to my intelligence.Discovery is just the latest incarnation that sucks.


Thankfully, I have TOS, TNG,DS9,Voyager, and Enterprise all on my hard drive and whenever I feel like watching trek i have them to turn to.
Image
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 3,078 - SEPTEMBER 25th

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
Posts: 13945
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky
Contact:

Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3

Post by JM1776 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:43 am

Michael wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:41 am
One of the things I liked about Picard was that we were once again getting forward looking Trek ...
And let us remember to distinguish between "forward-looking" and "optimistic." Picard is not remotely the latter.
"The Chargers previously said Taylor suffered complications from an injection."

Their team doctor punctured his lung while administering a pain reliever, so ... technically, that's true, right?

JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
Posts: 13945
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky
Contact:

Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3

Post by JM1776 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:47 am

Gazomg wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:08 pm
...managed just the one episode of the latest cartoon series as that was insulting to my intelligence.
I have not yet felt insulted ... and when last I checked, possessed a not-inconsiderable intellect (false modesty aside). It's meant to poke holes in the pretentiousness of Trek, and seems to be doing a competent job thereof. It's cute.

It's certainly more entertaining than Discovery or Picard ... and it's not even close.
"The Chargers previously said Taylor suffered complications from an injection."

Their team doctor punctured his lung while administering a pain reliever, so ... technically, that's true, right?

User avatar
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
Posts: 13407
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: North of the North Pole
Contact:

Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3

Post by Michael » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:04 pm

Gazomg wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:08 pm
We have Burnham who completely dominates the show, and the whole show seems to be about her sod the rest of the crew...
Many of the cast from TOS felt the same way about Kirk. It's not too unusual that the lead character of a show gets the most attention.
No surprise she is not only a woman, but black.
?
Then we have stamets and his boyfriend to tick the box for the gays, and they cannot give them a decent story..
I thought they had some great stories with a lot of emotion and turmoil.
The only white straight male I could think of as a full cast member was Saru, and he plays an alien.
Captain Lorca
The best actor on the show was Pike, who played a white straight male, but he is out the gap, and why SNW will in my opinion be better than discovery, because it will be near impossible to be worse.
???

White males make up roughly 6% of the human population on Earth today. Straight white males somewhere around 5.5%. If for the sake of argument you assume that same population distribution for the twenty-third century, you would expect (on average) 5.5% of the main characters would be a straight white male. In universe, you wouldn't expect there to be much more than one or two straight white males in the main cast of a Trek show unless there's some other reason provided to explain how the population demographics would be substantially different than today. Given Lorca in the first season, and Pike in the second, that's actually better than the percentage of the population.

And if you add the alien species which make up the Federation and who would be in Starfleet, the numbers would be even less.

Note - In the other series, outside of TOS and ENT, there weren't a lot of straight white males in the main casts.

TOS - Kirk, McCoy, Scotty, and Chekov (but considering the state of TV during the 60s not surprising)
TNG - Picard and Riker
DS9 - O'Brien
VOY - Tom Paris
ENT - Archer, Trip, and Reed (Not sure if Reed was straight or not)

Though some of the above might have been bisexual, but I don't remember that ever coming up in an episode.

The head admiral a woman, the klingon leader a woman, in fact all the women are portrayed in a positive light...
Emperor Philippa Georgiou was portrayed as a monster.
-Michael Gray
Image
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

User avatar
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
Posts: 13407
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: North of the North Pole
Contact:

Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3

Post by Michael » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:08 pm

JM1776 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:43 am
Michael wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:41 am
One of the things I liked about Picard was that we were once again getting forward looking Trek ...
And let us remember to distinguish between "forward-looking" and "optimistic." Picard is not remotely the latter.
By forward-looking, I meant not a prequel, but out at the forward edge of the what we've seen of the Trek timeline.

But I get your point, and agree to a certain extent. I believe Picard at points went far darker than necessary, presenting a bleak version of the Trek universe. However, I think DS9 did so as well ("In the Pale Moonlight" and others).
-Michael Gray
Image
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

User avatar
Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore
Posts: 2220
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:11 am
Location: The Emerald Isle
Contact:

Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3

Post by Gazomg » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:03 pm

Michael wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:04 pm
Gazomg wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:08 pm
We have Burnham who completely dominates the show, and the whole show seems to be about her sod the rest of the crew...
Many of the cast from TOS felt the same way about Kirk. It's not too unusual that the lead character of a show gets the most attention.
No surprise she is not only a woman, but black.
?
Then we have stamets and his boyfriend to tick the box for the gays, and they cannot give them a decent story..
I thought they had some great stories with a lot of emotion and turmoil.
The only white straight male I could think of as a full cast member was Saru, and he plays an alien.
Captain Lorca
The best actor on the show was Pike, who played a white straight male, but he is out the gap, and why SNW will in my opinion be better than discovery, because it will be near impossible to be worse.
???

White males make up roughly 6% of the human population on Earth today. Straight white males somewhere around 5.5%. If for the sake of argument you assume that same population distribution for the twenty-third century, you would expect (on average) 5.5% of the main characters would be a straight white male. In universe, you wouldn't expect there to be much more than one or two straight white males in the main cast of a Trek show unless there's some other reason provided to explain how the population demographics would be substantially different than today. Given Lorca in the first season, and Pike in the second, that's actually better than the percentage of the population.

And if you add the alien species which make up the Federation and who would be in Starfleet, the numbers would be even less.

Note - In the other series, outside of TOS and ENT, there weren't a lot of straight white males in the main casts.

TOS - Kirk, McCoy, and Scotty (perhaps Chekov) (but considering the state of TV during the 60s not surprising)
TNG - Picard and Riker
DS9 - O'Brien
VOY - Tom Paris
ENT - Archer, Trip, and Reed (Not sure if Reed was straight or not)


The head admiral a woman, the klingon leader a woman, in fact all the women are portrayed in a positive light...
Emperor Philippa Georgiou was portrayed as a monster.
Ok, here goes.

Kirk dominated the original series too, and that was not good either.
Janeway, sisko, Picard were all captains and did not completely dominate the show as much as burnham does, maybe...just maybe it might have been more tolerable if the character was any good, but no she comes across as awful because its shit writing, and a show trying to be pc and putting that ahead of the actual writing.

The character of stamets has great potential, but like so many in the show they have to take a back seat to burnham in every episode. I thought that like so many of the characters, that they were written for like they were just there to make up the numbers.

Lorca is not a regular, maybe you might have missed it be he was cast as a guest, and that was almost 2 years he left.The fact you had to go back to a guest star on season one to find a white straight male sort of proves my point dont you think ?


As for this logic that straight white males only make up 5.5% so therefore cannot be shown, tell me what percentage of the population on earth is trans, what percentage is non binary...tell me what minor fraction of the population are they ?, isn't it strange they are represented ?

The stupid argument that other shows had this and that, is a deflection tactic and does not negate the point here.
Yes they were over represented in the earlier shows, there was not enough gay people considering how big a percentage they are of the human population, but because the past shows did not have enough black people, gay people etc, does not render my point for Discovery any less.

I will say this, at least on here thankfully the implications and responses are not passively aggressively trying to imply I am some sort or racist, bigot , sexist or whatever.

and for the record, my dislike of the burnham character has been consistent since season one, some people see the white male comment, and my dislike of burnham and get 2 plus 2 = 9, and start jumping to ridiculous conclusions....that I mentioned white and male and straight so ergo I must dislike black gay and female.
Image
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 3,078 - SEPTEMBER 25th

User avatar
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
Posts: 13407
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: North of the North Pole
Contact:

Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3

Post by Michael » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:33 am

Gazomg wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:03 pm
Kirk dominated the original series too, and that was not good either.
Janeway, sisko, Picard were all captains and did not completely dominate the show as much as burnham does...
I think that's more stylistic than anything else.

TV shows of the 60s were more main star-centric than many shows today. Starting in the 90s, ensemble shows became much more the norm.
Lorca is not a regular, maybe you might have missed it be he was cast as a guest, and that was almost 2 years he left.
He was listed with the main cast in the credits of the first season episodes and was the captain, so I would consider him as part of the main cast. That he doesn't continue past the first season doesn't take away that he functioned as a member of the main cast in much of the first season.

As for this logic that straight white males only make up 5.5% so therefore cannot be shown...
I never said "cannot be shown." I talked about what we could expect from demographics, not what would be required.

The point is Star Trek has always and very intentionally had a diverse cast. Roddenberry was very open about that with the original series, and that has continued on until the present as can be seen by how few straight white males have been in each cast (minus ENT). To complain about it now, seems to me to be a little late, or a complaint about what Star Trek was intended to be from the start.

And no, the point about demographics wasn't to say there should be some strict number of every group, but to say that the lack of straight white males isn't odd, that by demographics we would only expect one or less anyway. Of course with such a small number of people making up the main cast of a show you'll have some groups over represented because you can't have fractions of a person, etc.

I don't see the lack of straight white males as a problem as it makes sense within the context of the show, and by what has been intended since TOS. DS9 and VOY each had only one straight white male in their main casts, and I don't remember any complaints about it at the time or since.
-Michael Gray
Image
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"

User avatar
Gazomg
Commodore
Commodore
Posts: 2220
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:11 am
Location: The Emerald Isle
Contact:

Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3

Post by Gazomg » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:05 pm

but it does not make sense, that groups that are far less minor are represented.
it we are speaking odds, since you brought up percentages, then the fact stamets for example, who is gay, is not the only gay person, but his boyfriend served on the ship, the odds on that are off.
The odds that a trans person and a non binary person get represented but no white straight male which completely outnumber them are also skewed odd.


because the past shows had over representation does not negate the point I am making for this show, deflecting to say the old shows did this and that, is an entirely different argument and deflection tactic.

That said I could not care if the show was all black or gay of whatever if the show was decent, but its not, the writing sucks, burnham is too dominating in the show, the rest of the cast seem to be only there to make up the numbers, likes its burnhams world and they just live in it, the writers are concerned as appearing pc than putting their efforts in to proper story telling
Image
MANIPULATIONS ON MY SITE - 3,078 - SEPTEMBER 25th

Post Reply